Sunday, 11 May 2008

Rethinking My Ideals

I have had some uncharacteristically optimistic ideals about the family which I hope to have one day.

These include :

  • - Not having a TV at home - I don't want my kids to be TV addicts, nor do I want to use the TV to be a tool for me to keep them quiet. Most importantly, I do not want them to be exposed to all the crap that goes on TV nowadays, which I assume will be worse by the time I actually have kids.
  • - Having maybe 4-6 of my own natural kids (depending on what age I get married) and adopting kids to make my perfect, happy little rainbow family (i thought of it before angelina jolie did!).
  • - Being a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) - devoting my life to bringing up the kids.
Over the past 2 days, I have spent a good amount of time (maybe too much) with my pastor's kids as their parents are out painting their new house.

They are a joy to babysit, and while they are generally very well behaved everytime I'm with them, they were quite a handful today. Thank God for the shistas who came to hang out with us.

I spent my commuting time thinking about a new list of more realistic ideals :
  • - 2 kids, close in age (2 years difference God-willing).
  • - TV in the house - only for VeggieTales or something that sows God's Word in song into the lives of my kids. Also because I need to watch the news for the weather forecast.
  • - Be a SAHM until the kids are 5 ot 6 (or maybe earlier), then work part-time, just so the kids don't get sick of me and vice versa?
  • - Adoption if God leads.
This is definitely somewhat of a spiritual lesson for me - but that's between me and God :)

No comments: