Saturday, 9 September 2006

The Big News

Something happened over the weekend and I thought I'd share the good news.

I HAVE A KID!




Well, not quite.

The story started in July this year at the Hillsong Conference. I watched a video by Compassion and it absolutely ripped my heart to pieces.

Now prior to that, I've thought and prayed about working with kids in a third world country one day - whether or not as a long term missionary, I don't know yet - and it occured to me that one way in which I can work towards that, would be to support one now.

I didn't want to adopt a kid on an impulse, especially because I wasn't sure that I would have the money to support the child when I am done with my internship at the end of 2007. No internship/job/work = no money, which is why I've steered clear of all kinds of financial "bondages" since I've started working, with the exception of insurance, because it an initiative started by my parents. I've always wanted to have the flexibility to be able to get up and go, or stop and pray; to wait, listen and be available when God says go without having to worry about paying this off or paying that off.

So I prayed about this issue of adopting a child sporadically, and since then I've been to numerous events with Compassion booths, and each time I was reminded to pray about it.

Last thursday at Bible College, we had the Regional Manager for Compassion WA come in to tell us more about Compassion's ministry. He left a pile of kid's photos for us to see, and this 6 year old girl from Columbia caught my eye. She had beautiful curly hair and looked really lovable (my friend Star reckons she looks naughty :) ). Again, I didn't want to make a decision on impulse, so as much as I wanted to take the pen and fill in form, I didn't.

I went home that night and looked on the Compassion Website for her - I had kinda told God that if I saw her again, I would take it as a sign to adopt her. She wasn't there. I was disappointed.

The next day, I was at the Go! ReachOut Conference.

Guess who set up a booth there?
Guess who's lovely picture was sitting on the table?
GUESS WHAT I HAD TO DO!

Laura. Isn't she the cutest?

I'll be praying that God will provide me with the means to keep supporting her till she turns 21. Also, on the list of things to do for me is to learn Spanish, and to pay her a visit in 3-4 years time! (hopefully sooner!)

__________________________

Speaking of cuteness, this kid was at Go! ReachOut too. Isn't she just oooozzzzing with cuteness? :)

1 comment:

Mavis said...

goodness meekness!! u've a kid, best fren! wahahaha... oh man, adi & delia learning spanish (seperately) ya know! i know how to say "hungry" :) Of all things yah...
eh this is super cool man! u've a kid! hahaha... with it comes responsibility but of course, since u've prayed & God's showing you... i miss u best fren!
darn, how come it's our pastors going to perth & not me. :( Perhaps i could con them into bringing me? not.